How To Prepare For An Open House »
General Tips »
- Attend to any potential hazards.
- Lock away or remove valuables - i.e. jewelry.
- Avoid cooking food with strong odors.
- Fresh coffee or baked items very welcoming.
- In poor weather, provide a place for overshoes, boots, etc.
- In winter, if you have a fireplace have it lit.
- Assess what needs cleaning, repaired or changed before opening home to potential buyers.
Areas To Look At »
|Kitchen and bathrooms:||all surfaces cleaned, organize countertops, sinks and faucets work properly.|
|Other rooms:||vacuum, dust, remove clutter (including excess furniture), neatly store books, toys and clothing, clean mirrors, open drapes and pull up blinds on windows.|
|Floor covering:||remove dirt and stains, repair damages, hardwood covered by carpet - remove carpet and restore wood.|
|Walls, ceilings, baseboards:||clean fingerprints or stains. Repair holes, cracks, chipped paint, ripped wallpaper, water damage.|
|Doors:||fix squeaks and make sure handles secure and work properly.|
|Windows:||clean and repair cracks, easy to open.|
|Lighting:||sufficient light, fix broken switches and exposed wiring.|
|Pet areas:||clean, organized and odor free.|
|Outside the home:||gates open easily, clean exterior surfaces - decks, pools, walkways, driveways and make them tidy.|
|Seasonal issues:||snow removed from walkways and driveway, lawn cut, flower beds weeded, etc.|