Harriston is a community in the Town of Minto in Wellington County, Ontario. Harriston is located at the intersection of Highways 9 & 89. The original community received its name from Archibald Harrison, a Toronto farmer, who was granted land along the Maitland River where it met the Elora and Saugeen Road in 1854. He, along with his brothers Joshua and George, built several mills in the area and the community soon grew. By about 1867, with a population of aprox 150, the village contained many businesses, including blacksmith shops and wagonworks. The construction of the Wellington, Grey and Bruce Railway, completed to Harriston in 1871, spurred the community's growth as a prosperous commercial and farm-implement manufacturing centre.
Harriston currently has many businesses, both retail and service establishments with casual, family dining and take-out restaurants. Town Hall Theatre, Heritage Gallery and Public Library offer residents and visitors a variety of entertainment options.
Clubs and organizations are many. Some, but not all include the Harriston Kinsmen, Harriston Lions Club, Harriston Curling Club, Harriston Lawn Bowling, Harriston Skating Club, the Harriston Soccer Club, Harriston 55+ Club and other youth oriented clubs.
Minto Clifford Central Public School is located in Harriston. Minto-Clifford students come from the communities of Harriston, Clifford and the broader Town of Minto. Medical services are many in the area with a hospital only ten minutes away from Harriston. For more information about this great town check out their website at http://www.town.minto.on.ca
For a place to raise a family or retire to, take a closer look today. Call Coach House Realty Inc. Brokerage for assistance with your next home purchase or sale.